Employment law is concerned with the relationship between employers and employees, and covers a number of areas including employment contracts, claims based in tort or on a breach of contract, protection from discrimination, health and safety and a number of statutory regulations. Strict time limits apply in employment law claims, and you should seek advice as soon as possible.

LawRight factsheets

Resources from other organisations

Where to go for help

  • LawRight is an independent, not-for-profit, community-based legal organisation that operates a civil law referral service for pro bono legal representation and direct legal services for particular disadvantaged client groups. LawRight can offer legal advice and assistance to people involved in certain civil proceedings in the Federal Court and Federal Circuit Court. LawRight cannot usually act as a legal representative, but assists people to represent themselves in court proceedings. For more information about the help available and to apply for help, please see the LawRight website.
  • Legal Aid Employment Law Service – Legal Aid Queensland has an Employment Law Service which provides free advice by telephone appointment, and in some instances, also provides legal representation in conciliation and hearing in the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission (QIRC) or Fair Work Commission (FWC). Even though you can represent yourself if you apply to the QIRC or FWC, if you feel that you require advice or assistance, you can contact the Legal Aid Employment Law Service on 1300 65 11 88.
  • Caxton Legal Centre Inc – The Caxton Legal Centre has an Employment Legal Service which can provide information. However, this is an area of high demand and does not receive funding.
  • WorkSafe.qld.gov.au – Workplace Health and Safety Queensland can receive and address written or verbal complaints about workplace health and safety issues.
  • Fair Work Commission (Commonwealth) – The Fair Work Commission is the national workplace relations commission. It is an independent body with power to carry out a range of functions relating to the safety net of minimum wages and employment conditions, enterprise bargaining, industrial action, dispute resolution, termination of employment and other workplace matters.
  • Community Legal Centres Queensland – You may wish to approach a community legal centre for assistance. To find your nearest community legal centre, please go to Find Legal Help on the Community Legal Centres Queensland website. There are a number of community legal centres throughout Queensland that hold regular advice sessions.