Residential tenancy disputes will arise when there is a dispute between a tenant and a landlord. Such disputes can be about a number of different issues including rent, bonds, holding deposits, the standard of a premise, termination of a tenancy agreement, the transfer of a lease, or subletting.


Relevant legislation

Where to go for help

  • Tenants Queensland  – Tenants Queensland is a statewide community organisation that provides services for residential tenants in Queensland and represents their interests. Tenants Queensland delivers the Queensland Statewide Tenants Advice and Referral Service (QSTARS) across Queensland.
  • Residential Tenancies Authority– The Residential Tenancies Authority provides tenancy information, bond management, dispute resolution, investigation, policy and education services.
  • Residential tenancy disputes at the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal– Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal has the power to decide a range of residential tenancy disputes.
  • Self Representation Service– LawRight runs a Service to assist people representing themselves in QCAT. If your tenancy matter is going to QCAT and Tenants Queensland cannot assist you, we may be able to help you. LawRight is an independent, not-for-profit, community-based legal organisation that operates a civil law referral service for pro bono legal representation and direct legal services for particular disadvantaged client groups.For more information about the help available, and the process for applying for help, please see the LawRight website at lawright.org.au
  • You may wish to approach a community legal centre for assistance. To find your nearest community legal centre, please visit the Community Legal Centres Queensland website at communitylegalqld.org.au. There are a number of community legal centres throughout Queensland that hold regular advice sessions.


The information in this resource is for general information purposes only and should not be relied on as legal advice. If you need legal advice, please contact LawRight or another lawyer. LawRight can only give advice to people who are eligible for our services.